Friday, July 17, 2009

The (Mis)Education of the Girl on the Bus

Tired from work.
On a bus.
On my way to training.
My peace was disturbed.

I know I have such a loud mouth.
But I don't babble senseless things (at least most of the time.)
Was desperately trying to catch some rest since work was tiring and I'd have to exert effort in a matter of minutes.
A girl behind starts talking - loudly and annoyingly.
She starts by telling her friend that she wants to watch the latest Harry Potter flick (an HP film that I'm really interested to watch since I got hooked by the trailer.)
I listen in since she then followed that with a conversation regarding her take on certain movies and literature. (by now you should know that I am such a flick and literature geek.)

Then she said something that made me cringe and pity her very poor sense of literature. She declared that without a doubt, the Twilight series are the best books ever written. I stop myself from laughing hysterically.

She does not stop there. She then says one of the dumbest things I've heard in recent history, "di ko gets kung bakit gandang-ganda sila sa Wall-E, wala namang sense eh." I literally had to cover my mouth to stop myself from answering back.

First she glorifies a series of books that would not even qualify with the ranks of Palahniuk or Murakami (not even Brown's) then she shuts down one of the best animated films ever made. (As in seriously, it would not take a genius to comprehend the satirical wonders of Wall-E!)

Is she kidding me?!?! When they said that the quality of our education is worsening, I did not think it would come down to this! (Okay, that was evil of me. But I could not help it, Twilight series as the best??!?!)

Dear government (and to the incoming one), instead of making yourselves richer, please allocate a humongous budget for education! And please find out where she studied and teach them how to teach literature and comprehension. We badly need it.

Photo Credit: forumgallery.com

6 comments:

  1. TWILIGHT THE BEST BOOK EVER? O.O
    Horrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I feel your pain. XD

    Pero doesn't educ get the largest slice of the budget pie? Around 40%, if I recall properly. Now do the funds actually _reach_ the schools? Well, that's a different story. Hahaha

    Wall-E is sheer genius; half the film doesn't have dialogue because it doesn't need speech to convey a thought.

    Oh yeah, TWILIGHT??!?
    *twitch*

    Sparkling vampires make easy targets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for her. Truly, I do. I admit I may not have the best taste in literature either, given my current collection (which I have started to upgrade with more not-too-shallow books), but, oh man, Twilight the best books ever written? EVER?! Uh, I'll just shake my head and sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is teaching you patience Dan. :)) :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we both share something in common, intolerance for the most absurd comments and poorly exercised minds. *Of course I can't say Im a genius, but it doesn't take a genius to know that the Twilight series isn't anything special* You make me smile Dan!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twilight strikes again. :))

    I think the problem is that they don't take time to reflect. I don't really blame them, but schools don't really teach reflection (otherwise known as "Philosophizing") nowadays. They teach you facts or methods, but don't teach you the principles behind the knowledge. They also don't show how one specific piece of knowledge interacts with the other pieces.

    Education here in the Philipines is very Pavlovian. Well, at least, elementary and high school education in the public sector.

    I still believe, though, that the answer is Christ! XD

    ReplyDelete