Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lie to Me

When I was in grade 4, my mom caught me lying about a school project.

During my juvenile years, I would lie to save myself from trouble.

"No, I wasn't the one who broke the glass."

"I wasn't the one who started the fight."

"I swear I didn't know it was yours."

Lies. Lies. Lies.

And now that I'm 21 (and yes, I'm old since I will be turning 22 in three months time) such lies are just plain ridiculous. Oftentimes, telling the truth would keep you out of trouble more than lying. And I learned that the hard way. Ask my parents how.

---

Our generation is very familiar with a lot prominent people both here and overseas who have lied in more ways than one.

Who can forget Sen. Miriam Santiago's infamous admission of lying combined with her laughter during the Erap years?

US Pres. Bill Clinton and the whole Monica Lewinsky brouhaha. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

And then there's Erap and GMA. 'nuff said.

---

One of the shows that I am currently obsessed with watching is Lie to Me. And this show is just made of awesome. Its premise is that, even if people desperately try to hide emotions, their micro-expressions (errr facial and gestural and even tone of voice) can give them away.

Dr. Cal Lightman (played Tim Roth) is the world's leading deception expert who studies facial expressions and involuntary body language to discover not only if someone is lying, but why. When someone shrugs one shoulder, rotates a hand or raises the lower lip, Lightman knows he's lying. Based on the real-life scientific discoveries of Paul Ekman, the series follows Lightman and his team of deception experts as they assist law enforcement and government agencies to expose the truth behind the lies.

Watch it!!! Errr, well download it first haha :p

1 comment:

  1. Some lies are so obvious that people just dig themselves in deeper. It doesn't solve anything. Funny you should write about this; just this morning I came across 1 Cor 4:4-5. God will reveal the truth in due time.

    Hmm that series looks interesting. I'd like to be able to tell when people are lying. XD

    ReplyDelete